Monday, May 20, 2013

Coloring Outside the Lines


Author's Note: This is a text analysis of a specific sentence in a specific section of the book, Speak.

"Maybe I'll be an artist if I grow up."

This line in particular made me think about things, because I mean look at it. The whole, "If I grow up" thing really means something. It means that if you believe that you will never grow up to achieve something, what do you think is going to happen to you? I suppose she is saying, "Well I guess I will try being an artist, but if I can't grow up, oh well." It is like she has no belief in herself that she can do something.

The section as a whole means that she really likes art and it makes her happy to be around it. It is a free thing for her to do and no matter how many times she messes up, she can always restart. It shows that she has a passion for something, but she would rather watch other people be creative. At least that is sort of how the section explains it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment